Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Milton Bradley Simon Game

Invented by the so-called father of video games Ralph Baer and Howard Morrison (with a little software help by Lenny Cope) MB's Simon game was released in 1978. Impressively and despite its simplicity it turned out to be a huge success, survived well into the 80s and got itself countless re-imaginings and sequels. Weird, I know, especially considering Simon's gameplay consisted of replicating tunes played by the machine in a way that has plagued too many an adventure game.

Anyway. Simon was an interesting and successful digital novelty/game thingy that's definitely worth owning, if only for nostalgia reasons. This boxed Simon auction on eBay sounds particularly interesting too, as the seller ships worldwide and is giving away the complete boxed game.   

7 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that the original one! I always wanted one of those.. had to settle for the modern clear plastic with girly pastel colors. I would bid on that thing if money wasn't so right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coincidentally I was looking for my old Simon like that just this last weekend at my mother's house, but I guess it's history. One of the best electronic toys ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Jizabob: Ah, but I fully understand what you mean...

    @ MadPlanet: Oh come on. It can't have vanished. It's bound to turn up someplace. Tried conjuring it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Conjuring has not yet taken place, but alas I fear it was sold in a garage sale many years ago...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, summon/bind spells are in order then...

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom still has the one she bought for us in the 80's, box and all, just like this. If it was worth more than $33 I wouldn't say anything lol .. Now if I could find a Rebound game...

    ReplyDelete